Monday 30 November 2015

#Dignity - Stories From Gateway Members

Hello Everyone,

Up next in our member's #Dignity stories is a lovely piece by Gateway Member Mary.



Mary: The Warm Welcome

I was in a bad ‘aul place. I felt disconnected and alone. Not knowing where to turn, someone suggested gateway, a community project which was something different, and definitely something new for me.

As I got off the 16 bus and headed for Mount Drummond I was feeling nervous and excited at the same time.  Excited that this might be a place for me and also nervous that I mightn’t fit in.

Making my way through the gates and past the trees [I could see a colourful sign for gateway in a window on the ground floor.Looking in I could see people laughing and chatting around a big table.  Filled suddenly with anxiety, I turned to leave. 

I didn’t get far however before one of the project workers came out to ask my name.  Her welcoming approach put me at ease and I relaxed enough to follow her in for a cup of tea, where much to my relief everybody was just as kind and friendly.

Five years on I’m proud to say that I’m still a member of Gateway.  It’s my second home, a place where I can relax and be myself.  

Wouldn’t it be great if there were warm welcomes like this everywhere?

Blog Archive